About Millfield Enterprises

Who We Are

Millfield Enterprises is the commercial arm of Millfield Schools, responsible for maximising the use of the extensive facilities throughout the year, particularly in the school holiday periods.

We have a permanent team of 15 and recruit over 200 temporary staff each year to help run our courses.

Meet the Team

See more about Millfield Schools

What We Do

Our facilities can be hired for individual bookings or for conferences and events.

We have hosted events both at national and international levels, with our wide range of facilities making Millfield the perfect place for a variety of purposes including corporate hospitality functions, exhibitions, concerts and shows.

Alongside this we run a number of courses throughout the year during the school holidays from Multi-Activity to specialised sports courses, as well as an Easter Revision Course for students studying for their GCSEs and A Levels, and an English language course for international students.

What We Do

Accreditations, Membership & Awards

We're proud of what we do and continually strive to improve which is why we are members of a number of professional bodies relevant to our industry, ensuring we keep up to date with market trends and current legislation.

Alongside continuous staff development, we invite organisations such as the British Council to inspect our courses in order to gain accreditation so our customers know we are providing the best service we can.

It's always an honour to receive recognition for hard work and we're very proud and thankful for the awards we have won over the years from customer votes and industry experts.

Find out more

Accreditations, Membership & Awards

Work with Us

Every year have a number of temporary vacancies on the Millfield English Language Holiday Courses in a variety of sectors including teaching, pastoral, sports and activities, and media.

Find out more

Work with Us

Mission Statement

Millfield Enterprises is a business that represents the prestigious name of Millfield School in the provision of holiday courses and events.

All of the staff in our employment, all of the students under our care and all parents, agents and visitors are treated with equal concern and without prejudice to their religious persuasion, racial origin, cultural background, gender, disability or special needs.

Positive attitudes are encouraged by promoting respect for others at all times.

We believe in people and our aim is to ensure that time spent with us is productive, memorable, stimulating and enjoyable. 

Millfield House

A Brief History of Millfield Schools

Millfield, in the village of Street, Somerset, was founded by Jack Meyer (affectionately referred to as ‘Boss’) in 1935, following his return from India where he had been teaching since 1929. Meyer brought seven Indian boys, six of whom were princes, with him to Millfield to further and improve their studies. Meyer rented Millfield House from the Quaker family, Clarks, who started their footwear manufacturing business in the village of Street itself in 1825. Millfield House was used as the original Millfield School and is now one of the school’s boarding houses, and stands as a landmark and memory of the visionary Jack Meyer.

By 1939 pupil numbers had increased to 40, including a small number of girls and the school became one of the first independent schools to be co-educational. In 1942, Martin Attlee, son of the then Deputy Prime Minister, Clem, joined the school in the hope of overcoming ‘word-blindness’. The Millfield method was so successful that Martin went on to university, the school gaining fame as the first in the country to successfully help dyslexic pupils.

In 1945, with an increasing number of younger pupils, Jack Meyer saw the need to expand the school and bought Edgarley house and grounds in the nearby town of Glastonbury. Edgarley (now known as Millfield Prep) was originally part of an iron-age settlement around Glastonbury Tor, then in post-Roman times the property of a local British chieftain who later gave way to Saxon invaders. In the late 7th century the land was granted to the Abbey by a Saxon chieftain, thereby becoming one of the so-called Glaston XII hides.
In the years immediately following the Dissolution in 1539 (when Henry VIII confiscated church property), Edgarley belonged to the Crown, but it subsequently passed through many hands before coming into the ownership of the Porch family from the nearby city of Wells in the 18th century. The Porch’s also owned Glastonbury Abbey for a number of years in the middle of the 19th century, hence the considerable amount of Abbey stonework to be found there, particularly the Summer House or ‘Hermitage’, as it was known in their day.

The Porch family was large, wealthy and influential for a time, enlarging Edgarley house considerably in the 1880s, but it suffered several setbacks around the turn of the century, which led to the estate being sold to the Thomas-Ferrands in 1915. By 1945 the Thomas-Ferrands had seen their family home suffer from Army occupation during the war and so sold the house and grounds to their friend, Meyer.

By the late 60s a large proportion of pupils, including increasing numbers of girls, were transferring to Millfield in Street instead of other public schools, and by the mid-80s numbers reached nearly 500, with a corresponding improvement and expansion in facilities.

Although Millfield is best-known for its sport, pupils have gone on to excel in a wide range of areas. Successful old Millfieldians include former British Lions and Wales rugby captain Gareth Edwards, “Desperate Housewives” actress and Golden Globe winner Nicolette Sheridan, BBC chief political correspondent John Sergeant, Olympic swimming Gold medallist Duncan Goodhew, former Radio 1 Disc Jockey Tony Blackburn and drummer of legendary rock group the Police, Stewart Copeland.

Whether you are booking a course or seeking a venue to hold your event, our dedicated team are here to help with your enquiry.